AURAJOEN WAHTIAJOT - AURA RIVER FREE-RUN
‘THE BOATING EVENT’ FOR CLASSIC RUNABOUTS (SPORTS BOATS) IN FINLAND WILL TAKE PLACE AGAIN ON SATURDAY, JUNE 18TH, 2022 AT THE AURA RIVER IN THE HEART OF TURKU!
- A unique event for all classic sportsboats, mahogany and ‘glass’, in reminiscence of the classic boat race ‘Aurajoen Wauhtiajot’ of the ’50’s and it’s legendary drivers!
- A special ‘FREE SPEED’ run on Aura-river is scheduled before and after the lunch, as well as a run through interesting scenery around the nearby islands in the morning!
- ‘Concours’-awards will be presented during the dinner for the best in their respective class (if such boats are present):
- Best ‘classic mahogany’ runabout
- Best ‘early classic fiberglass’ runabout
- Best modern ‘replica’/’reproduction’ runabout
- Best ‘modern classic-style’ runabout, if present!
2022 SCHEDULE (SUBJECT TO CHANGES IF NECESSARY):
- During the lunch, the boats will dock in front of restaurant Pinella and ‘Vähätori’-marketplace (next to the city Library).
- Boats will depart immediately after assembly at Pinella for a cavalcede/’free run’ on Aura River.
- This will be repeated after the lunch at about 14:30 again.
- 08:00-9:45 meeting, briefing, and boat-launch at Ruissalo Dockyards (Ruissalon Telakka)
- 10:00-11:00 coasting upstream towards ‘Pennisilta’, and starting the first run of ‘FREE RUN’ along Aura River at about 11:00 (in front of ‘Tintå’)!
- 12:00-12:30 docking at Pinella again for lunch after the first run.
- 14:30 second ‘FREE RUN’ on the river!
- After the event, boaters have a chance to join a brief cavalcade, cruising the near-by archipelago, before docking for the evening dinner and prize-giving event!
- 19:30 presentation of awards and dinner with entertainment at ‘Old Ruissalo Boatyards’ event center, dinner, xx,- e./person (not incl.drinks) (will update the price soon!!)
For lunch and dinner&show reservations, please call/SMS in advance at the number below!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR BOATERS
- Smaller vessels can use the brand new boat slip right next to the harbor at ‘Ruissalon Telakka’ (former ‘Turun Veneveistämö’) on Ruissalo island
- It is located at the end of ‘Hevoskarintie’ on Ruissalo island (Turku)
- Trailers can be left (locked) for the day next to the parking space by the boatslip.
- Information over other nearby slips (longer/deeper), with a locked and guarded yard: ‘BT Marina’ (Juha: 040 535 4090) on the island of Hirvensalo has always been very helpful, and is also conveniently located!! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!
- A crane can be provided, if requested, to Forum Marinum maritime museum (in the harbor, on ‘Linnankatu’, next to the full rigger ‘Suomen Joutsen’), at a sensible shared expense between the users if enough of demand arises!
- Boats can also drive to sunday’s car-event by sea (very close, at Harjattula Manor and Golf-course in Kakskerta), and can be left for the day to the pier there. I would also encourage many to take the boats on trailers and to present them on wheels at sunday’s concours-event! This would provide many a first sight of such runabouts ever!
- For hotel arrangements, please call (reservation under code ‘concours’ for 20 rooms, reservation expires mid May!): Sokos Hotels ‘Seurahuone’: 010-786 4000
- Overnight arrangements for boats: please contact Juha at ‘BT Marina’ as above!. Sunday’s venue in Kakskerta is also a good place to park (about a 35 min drive away from the hotels)!
FOR ANY INQUIRIES, AND LUNCH + DINNER RESERVATIONS, PLEASE CALL/SMS:
Antti Wihanto: +358-40-551 9841